A perfectly whole roasted chicken with rosemary and root vegetables is easy enough for a weeknight meal but feels fancy enough for a weekend dinner date!
- 1 pound small potatoes, cut in half
- 1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 3 to 4 pound chicken, giblets removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons ghee
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the bottom of the cast iron skillet or any large oven safe roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dry the chicken inside and out and place it on top of the vegetables. Add garlic and half of the lemon to the inside of the chicken. Squeeze the other half of the lemon over the vegetables and leave in the pan.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Mix the ghee and rosemary together to create a paste. Using your hands, spread the mixture all over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 60 minutes. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast. If the temperature does not read 165 degrees, continue roasting and check every ten minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. At this point, the juices will run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and let the chicken rest for 20 minutes before you slice.
- Serve with the au jus from the skillet!
Keywords: chicken, easy dinner, whole30