For the Turkey Zucchini Meatballs (adapted from Ottolenghi’s Jerusalem)
- 1 2/3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil for sautéing
For the Gyros:
- 8 pieces of naan bread
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Make the meatballs: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine turkey, zucchini, scallions, egg, mint, cilantro, garlic and spices. Using your hands, shape the meatballs (about 3 tablespoons per ball) by gently squeezing them and tossing them from hand to hand – it helps to wet your hand so keep the meatballs from sticking to them. Set formed meatballs aside. (makes about 30)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the meatballs in small batches, browning each side. Make sure you don’t crowd the pan. Continue until all meatballs are brown, adding extra oil to the pan as needed.
- Place browned meatballs on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for another 6-7 minutes, until cooked through.
- After the meatballs are cooked through, add the naan directly onto the grates in your oven. Heat for 1 minute, until naan is warm and pliable.
- Assemble gyros and eat!