A Whole30 and paleo Tex-Mex Taco Casserole – comfort food at its finest! It is filled with spicy ground turkey, vegetables, and topped with sweet potato!
For the casserole:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 Tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the taco seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the spiralized sweet potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, spiralized
- 2 Tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Optional garnish: fresh cilantro, avocado, and hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare your vegetables: Chop all vegetables. In a large skillet, (I use my 12 inch cast iron) heat 1 Tablespoon of ghee over medium heat. Add all of the vegetables and cook until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Prepare your meat: Bring skillet back up to medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon of ghee. To the skillet, add the ground turkey and all of the seasonings. Cook until no longer pink.
- While the meat is cooking, place the spiralized sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons of ghee and pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin; toss to combine.
- Add the cooked vegetables back into the skillet with the browned turkey. Stir to combine.
- Spray a large casserole dish (4 quart or 9×13 inch pan) with coconut oil cooking spray. Add the meat and veggie mixture to the dish and top with spiralized sweet potato.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- To serve, top with fresh cilantro, avocado, and hot sauce! If you aren’t keeping this Paleo, add a dollop of Greek yogurt and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Keywords: whole30, casserole, easy dinner