This post is full of rookie mistakes. Let me explain.
The first rookie mistake took place on Sunday. Pat and I were watching the Vikings game and I was making these sweet potato nachos with Mexican spiced ground turkey for lunch / this blog post about healthy Superbowl snack food. Totally normal, no mistakes yet. The nachos come out of the oven, I’m all set to take pictures, and my battery is totally dead. ROOKIE MISTAKE. You’d think that after having this blog for a few months, I would be prepared in the camera department. Think again.
So all of these photos were taken with my iPhone. I know, I’m sorry.
Mistake number two is happening as I write this post. I’m on my lunch break, eating a sad desk lunch (which should not be confused with a not sad desk lunch), and staring at the photos of the wonderful sweet potato nachos I ate on Sunday and wishing I was at home watching football and eating nachos and not at work.
But let’s talk about these nachos and why you should have them in your life immediately… or on February 7th.
- Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are the ideal vessel to carry these nachos. In addition to the obvious health benefits of sweet potatoes compared to tortilla chips, they add such a wonderful flavor that you won’t find elsewhere.
- Ground turkey is super lean and full of protein. Sure the flavor of ground turkey isn’t quite that of ground beef, but it absorbs all the flavor from your spices beautifully. You won’t even know you’re eating turkey.
- You can top them with anything you want. Literally! I’m pretty minimal when it comes to nacho toppings; but I love black beans, cheddar cheese, cilantro (always, everywhere, on everything), and a dollop of Greek yogurt. And Cholula!
Over the next few weeks, I am going to be sharing some of my favorite snacks to eat and share on Superbowl Sunday. So make sure you stop back!
If you try any of my recipes and post on social media, use the hashtag #imhungrybynature so I can check it out! Don’t forget to follow along:Print
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2/3 pound ground turkey
- Taco seasoning packet, half
- Toppings: black beans, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, cilantro, Chipotle Cholula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thinly slice sweet potatoes, using a mandolin (if you have one) to keep the thickness consistent.
- Place sliced potatoes onto baking sheet and toss in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast potatoes for 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness, and toss halfway through.
- While the potatoes are roasting, cook ground turkey until no longer pink. Add in half of a taco seasoning packet (my favorite is from Trader Joe’s).
- Remove potatoes from oven, top with ground turkey, black beans, and grated cheddar cheese.
- Roast for a few minutes, until cheese melts.
- Top with your favorite fixings and enjoy!
Superbowl Sunday can’t come soon enough!