A healthy vegetarian dish, these protein packed Soy Chorizo Lettuce Wraps will satisfy your Mexican craving with fresh flavors and a creamy avocado sauce!
I’m just gonna come out and say it.
Sometimes I just don’t want to talk about food, which is pretty surprising because most days I could go on and on. I mean, I’m usually talking about what I want for dinner as I’m eating lunch. But not today.
Trust me, I love when my belly is full. But my heart is so full after this weekend and that’s all I really care about.
Pat and I drove up to Minnesota on Saturday to celebrate our friend who just bought a house – congrats Jeff!! Of course, I couldn’t completely forget about my stomach, so I brought plenty of snacks to get us through the drive. Jeff threw a wonderful party and it was the perfect summer night – brats, beers, and lots of friends. And I made salted chocolate chunk cookies because, let’s be real, every party needs dessert.
We also celebrated the engagement of two other friends! And we were able to have brunch with my mom yesterday before we got back on the road. Seriously, so much love packed into 24 hours. I could not have asked for a better day.
I have a Meatless Monday recipe for you – these lettuce wraps are made with a few simple ingredients – Trader Joe’s soy chorizo, sweet potato, and black beans – and can be on the dinner table in no time! Plus, they are made in one pan – I completely love using my cast iron skillet for this.
I know you’re going to love them. They are packed with protein from the soy chorizo and black beans. The avocado sauce is so creamy from the addition of Greek yogurt and it’s super healthy! This goes without saying, but chorizo is one of my favorite Mexican flavors and I could eat Mexican food every single day. So these are truly a win-win-win!
Do you follow Meatless Mondays? I’m actually terrible at remembering, but I’m always looking for new meatless recipes… do you have any favorites?!
Join in on Meatless Monday and make these Soy Chorizo Lettuce Wraps – your belly with thank me. Don’t forget to follow me on social media so you won’t miss out on anything!Print
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 12 ounces soy chorizo (I love Trader Joe’s!)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Bibb or gem lettuce
For the Creamy Avocado-Lime Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chopped sweet potato and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 7-10 minutes until potatoes starts to brown and begin to soften.
- Cover skillet and cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Remove potatoes from skillet.
- Remove chorizo from casing and add to skillet, cooking until the temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 8-10 minutes.
- While chorizo cooks, make the creamy avocado-lime sauce. Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a little more olive oil or lime juice.
- Add sweet potato and black beans into the skillet with the chorizo and cook until heated through.
- Serve the sweet chorizo mixture in bibb or gem lettuce topped with the creamy avocado-lime sauce!
That avocado-lime sauce gives me life!
Join the Hungry by Nature tribe!
Get the latest recipes, exclusive content, and much more!