We always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but who actually has time to sit down and eat breakfast every morning? Up until recently, I would run out the door with wet hair and a Clif bar in tow, trying to catch the train and praying I didn’t forget anything.
And then there are those people who don’t eat anything for breakfast. How is that even possible?! I’m being totally serious you guys – I cannot even fathom not eating breakfast. Even when I do eat, my stomach is grumbling by 11:30 asking for more and then I get hangry. Yes that’s a thing: hungry + angry = hangry. And you don’t want to be around to see what that’s like.
Well I decided to make a change. And this change has lead to more relaxed mornings. Mornings that make the rest of the day better (less hangry situations happening over here). Mornings where I eat my breakfast while flipping through the paper and watching the local new. Yes, it can be done! For all of you perpetual snoozers, what I am going to tell you next is going to be difficult to hear… you need to get up earlier. Sorry, that’s the only way; but I promise it will be worth it!
All you have to do is make this granola tonight and tomorrow you will thank me. Trust me, just trust me, and do it.
This effortless granola is make with simple and wholesome ingredients – oats (gluten free if that’s your thing!), nuts, shredded coconut, honey, and coconut oil. That’s it. I use this as my basic granola recipe, swapping out nuts with whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I add in quinoa for an extra crunch or stir in dried fruit after baking.
The granola options are endless.
My favorite way to eat this granola is on top of plain greek yogurt and mixed berries. Sometimes I eat it as cereal with almond milk. But most times I eat it straight out of the bag, somewhat uncontrollably because this granola is that good.
Let’s get to it.Print
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups assorted nuts (I ususally use a mix of almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, and any other nuts I have on hand.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine oats, nuts, and shredded coconut in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil and whisk in honey until combined.
- Pour liquid over oat mixture and stir, making sure everything is coated.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray. I love using Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil spray. Pour mixture onto sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Let cool, crumble, and enjoy!
Get your copy of One Bite Might Kill Me
Get my top 3 tried and true ways I deal with friends and family who question my food choices and recipes you can bring to the table that everyone will love!