A crunchy cinnamon-sugar topping makes these rhubarb ginger muffins both tart and sweet!
For the muffins:
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, 1/4-inch dice
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Line muffin tins with paper or foils. Heat oven to 400°F and adjust rack to the middle position of the oven.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined. In a separate large bowl, mix together the yogurt, butter, eggs, ginger, and vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until just combined (not overmixing). Fold in the rhubarb until just combined.*
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin tins, flattening down so that it fills them completely. In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping, and sprinkle as much as you want over each muffin – I ended up using a little over half of the mixture. Bake until golden brown on top, about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
*I left my rhubarb in large chunks. If you wanted it more evenly dispersed throughout each muffin, chop it more finely. This will also make your muffins more moist!