Bring on the chips and guac! Oh and the margaritas! And the tacos! #allthetacos
I could eat Mexican food every night. Growing up we ate a lot of tacos. The kind of tacos where you brown the ground beef and you add in that El Paso packet of taco seasoning. You remember what I’m talking about. And the kind that were topped with copious amounts of shredded cheddar cheese. You know, the kind where mom chopped tomatoes into bite size pieces and the kind where the iceberg lettuce was sliced super thin?? Those kind. Those are the tacos I grew up eating. All of which was piled high on a hard shell corn tortilla. No soft flour tortillas in my house – hard shells or bust!
This one-pot Mexican quinoa is incredibly easy and quick to make and is a great meatless dinner choice. It is packed with lots of protein and veggies and satisfies my Mexican cravings without adding on the extra calories hidden in those delicious margaritas. But let’s be real… that doesn’t stop me from having a marg or two… or three, never mind. Forget I mentioned margaritas. Gosh, is it 5 o’clock yet?!
And to add to all the flavorful goodness, which this dish is full of, this all comes together in one-pot and in 30 minutes! Plus you probably have all the ingredients already in your pantry – let’s make this for dinner tonight!!
And cross your fingers that there are leftovers because this will be an excellent, not-sad desk lunch tomorrow!Print
This one-pot dish is the easiest weeknight fix to cure those Mexican cravings!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes – I like using fire-roasted tomatoes for extra flavor.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Toppings: more cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, guacamole, whatever you want!
- In a medium pot, heat a little oil and add the garlic and jalapenos, cooking until just fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa, stock, beans, corn, tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is just absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Top with cheese, Greek yogurt, and more cilantro.
I like to add shredded chicken to this dish to amp up the protein and to cure my husband’s need for meat-filled dinners!
Get your copy of One Bite Might Kill Me
Get my top 3 tried and true ways I deal with friends and family who question my food choices and recipes you can bring to the table that everyone will love!