for the old fashioned:
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 2 teaspoons sweet potato simple syrup (ingredients below)
- 4 dashes bitters
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- club soda, enough for a splash or two
for the sweet potato simple syrup
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roast the sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork. Place on a small baking sheet & into the oven. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender & juices bubble out of it. Allow to cool slightly.
- Make the sweet potato simple syrup: Spoon the flesh of the sweet potato out of the skin & place into a small saucepan with the water and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture into a blender & blend until smooth. (Take care in mixing hot liquid!) Strain the syrup with a fine mesh sieve & transfer to a jar or airtight container. Store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- Mix a cocktail! Place one slice of orange in a rocks glass with the maraschino cherry. Add in the simple syrup & bitters. Muddle the mixture to break up the cherry and orange. Add in an ice cube or two. Top off with the bourbon and a splash of club soda. Garnish with additional orange slices as desired. Cheers!
As written, this recipe is spirit-forward. If you like a sweeter old fashioned, add extra teaspoon of the simple syrup!
Keywords: cocktail, drink, old fashioned, bourbon, sweet potato