Your new favorite Christmas cookie – a maple pecan meltaway! This shortbread is sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with pecans – simple and melt in your mouth good!
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cups grass-fed butter, softened
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in a stand up mixer, mix together the butter and maple syrup until completely incorporated.
- Add the almond flour, pecans, and salt. Mix well.
- Shape into a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.*
- Remove from plastic wrap and slice dough into rounds to a thickness of 1/4 inch.**
- Place cookies on silpat lined baking sheets, separated by approximately 1 inch.
- Placed cookie sheets back into the fridge.***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 13-17 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool for another 10-15 minutes.
- While the cookies are still warm, add the powdered sugar into a plastic ziplock bag. Place the cookies into the bag in batches and toss to coat in the powdered sugar, removing when covered on all sides. Continue until all cookies are coated.
- Allow cookies to cool the rest of they way and store in an airtight container.
- Cookies are best a few days after they are made, so you can totally make these ahead of time!
*If you want to eventually use cookie cutters to cut out the dough, shape it into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap before chilling in the fridge.
**For the cookie cutter method, place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness with your rolling pin. Using your favorite cookie cutter, cut dough and place on a silpat lined baking sheet.
***Chilling the dough after it has been cut is crucial to harden the butter and retain the cookie shape when baking.
Keywords: cookie, shortbread, Christmas cookie, holiday