A super impressive (and surprisingly easy!) garlicky kale galette that is a perfect main course for vegetarians or a gorgeous side for Sunday brunch. Made with a four ingredient almond flour crust that comes together in your food processor and a kale filling that is sure to impress your family and friends!
For the crust:
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup very cold butter chopped into chunks
- 2 Tablespoons very cold water
- 1 large egg white (about 2 Tablespoons)
For the filling:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “s” blade, pulse the almond flour and salt together several times to combine. Add the butter, and pulse several times until the butter pieces are the size of small peas. While the machine is on, pour in the water and egg white and continue to process until the dough comes together in a large ball or mass. Scrape down the sides if needed.
- Turn out the dough ball onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Top with another sheet of parchment, and roll into a disc about 1/4″ thick. Chill the dough in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until soft and just translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Finally, add kale and saute until it begins to soften, adding another 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil if needed.
- Place the filling to the center of the crust, leaving about a 2 inch ring around the border.
- Pick up one corner of the parchment beneath the dough, fold the empty dough over the kale mixture.
- Continue to do this around the entire galette until all the extra crust has been folded over the mixture.
- Mix together the ingredients for the egg wash and brush over the surface of the crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Keywords: galette, kale