A warm and comforting cauliflower cheddar and rice gratin to share with your family this Thanksgiving.
- 2/3 cup rice blend
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 garlic glove, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes, drain.
- In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add cayenne and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour and whisk to combine, cook the butter and flour mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowing drizzle in milk, whisking the whole time. Then add broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, whisking constantly, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter or spray a 2 quart baking dish. Combine rice and cauliflower in baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top, making sure everything is coated. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the sauce is bubbly.
Keywords: casserole, rice, cauliflower, thanksgiving