These adorable mini blood orange scones are gluten free, sweetened with maple syrup, and topped with a blood orange glaze – perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat!
For the scones:
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon blood orange zest
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
For the glaze:
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and zest.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add almond milk mixture, maple syrup, and olive oil to dry ingredients, stirring to combine, fold in cacao nibs. The mixture will be oily – much more than traditional scones make with cold butter.
- On a lined cookie sheet, roll or press mixture until it is 3/4 inch thick. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out your hearts and place on a separate lined cookie sheet. Continue to do so until you have used the entire dough. Mine yielded 16 miniature scones.
- Place scones in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake scones, straight from the freezer, for 13 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, make glaze: start with powdered sugar and add blood orange juice one teaspoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. I used a full tablespoon. Dip scones and allow glaze to set.
Keywords: scone, breakfast, baked good, blood orange