Blackened Salmon Burgers with Mango-Jalapeno Salsa, Chipotle Mayo and Smashed Avocado on a Pretzel Bun are perfect for your Memorial Day party or meatless Monday!
I hope I’m not too late to bring you a recipe for Memorial Day! Am I??
You probably started your weekend early and are already on the road – headed to the lake in your completely packed car with a cooler full of foods perfect for your unofficial start to summer celebration.
I knew it. I’m too late. Whelp, just put these salmon burgers on the menu for next Monday – for meatless Monday!
This recipe started out as a teriyaki-style salmon burger – or that was my idea at least. I had some leftover sauce from making this (so good BTW!) and added it to my ground salmon along with some scallions, extra ginger, panko, and an egg. And it was pretty good, but not quite good enough. It needed something else, something extra, some oomph.
You get it.
Whenever I want a loaded burger I look to Jessica – she is the queen of burgers – and has one salmon burger in particular that is just loaded with flavor – layer upon layer upon layer – and it is outrageous.
You should definitely make that burger. Not right now. Don’t leave me! Make this blackened salmon burger for Memorial Day and then make Jessica’s next week for meatless Monday. I promise, you will not regret it.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend? Hopefully it will involve time in the sun with family and friends… and delicious food, of course! You can find me celebrating with these Blackened Salmon Burgers and a Summer Shandy!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media so you won’t miss out on anything!Print
For the Salmon Burgers:
- 1 pound salmon, cut into pieces and processed until ground
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Mango-Jalapeno Salsa:
- 1 yellow mango, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- Juice of 1/2 lime
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce from can
Extras: Pretzel buns, avocado, red onions, and any other toppings you want!
- Start by making your salsa. Combine chopped mango, jalapeno, and red onion in bowl. Squeeze fresh lime juice over top and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut raw salmon into large chunks (1-2 inches square) and place in food processor. Pulse until salmon resembles the consistency of ground beef.
- Place salmon in a bowl and add Panko, parmesan, and olive oil. Stir with a large spoon until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Shape into 4 small or 2 large patties.
- Mix brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper in a bowl. Liberally cover both sides of the salmon burgers.
- Heat large skillet with remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. Be careful when you flip the patties – they are delicate.
- As the salmon burgers are cooking, make your chipotle mayo. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, finely chopped chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce, stirring well to combine.
- Assemble your burgers – mine stacked up like this: pretzel bun, smashed avocado, mango-jalapeno salsa, chipotle mayo, pretzel bun. YUM.
Load that baby up!
Get your copy of One Bite Might Kill Me
Get my top 3 tried and true ways I deal with friends and family who question my food choices and recipes you can bring to the table that everyone will love!