A simple coconut cashew kale salad topped with salty cashews and coconut flakes and tossed with a coconut inspired Asian dressing!
This weekend was Pat’s cousin’s wedding and I had one of the best meals ever!! I’m being totally serious. I couldn’t really eat anything at the cocktail hour; but everyone else was feasting on mini lobster rolls (OMG they were adorably cute), chicken empanadas, mini lamb chops, and goat cheese stuffed dates.
And that was just the cocktail hour.
The first course of our dinner was a kale and brussels sprout salad with toasted almonds. I was so pleasantly surprised (I shouldn’t have been given the appetizer spread) with how delicious it was! And it was quite similar to the salad I made us for lunch – this cococut cashew kale salad!
In both cases, lacinato kale serves as the base of the salad. I have been crushing HARD on lacinato kale lately; I think it is because the leaves are a little more delicate compared to the classic curly green kale that I eat every morning with breakfast.
Add in the coconut flakes and cashews for a little crunch and we are all set!
But you’re probably wondering what else we had to eat. Here’s the rundown:
- Dinner: Filet mignon served over mashed potatoes and topped with roasted root vegetables.
- Dessert #1: Almond and Bailey’s flavored cake. It wasn’t GF so they brought me a big bowl of fruit!
- Dessert #2: Mini apple crumbles, cranberry crumbles, cheesecakes, and chocolate mousse.
- Lake night snacks: Do-Rite Donuts wall (yes, there was an entire wall covered in donuts!), mini Chicago-style hotdogs, and french fries.
There was so much food and everything was incredible. But that salad, I’m still dreaming about it.
Make sure you subscribe and receive 5 easy, paleo and AIP friendly meals straight to your inbox!
When you make this coconut cashew kale salad, post a picture on social media and use the hashtas #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ⅛ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- ⅛ cup cashew pieces
- 1 Tablespoon coconut yogurt
- ½ Tablespoon rice vinegar
- Juice of ¼ lime
- ½ Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Prep the salad: Remove stems from kale and tear into pieces. Massage kale with coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl combine, coconut yogurt, rice vinegar, lime juice, and fish sauce, whisking to combine. Continue whisking and stream in sesame oil until combined.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and sprinkle with coconut flakes and cashews.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!