Made with a grain free flour and sweetened with bananas and a little honey, these tigernut flour zucchini muffins are the ideal AIP breakfast treat!
How was everyone’s 4th of July? Mine was super chill and exactly what I needed. There was some work involved – cooking, photographing, eating – this is seriously the hardest part of the job ;), and editing. But Pat and I also went to the driving range, took a long walk, and finally finished House of Cards.
Tomorrow we are headed to Lake Geneva and it is the last weekend in our two month stint of being out of town. I couldn’t be happier to welcome this relaxing weekend and a relaxing second half of the summer.
And rest assured, I am bringing a batch of these bad boys with me.
When I was first diagnosed with Celiacs, I started experimenting with GF flours. But as I transitioned to eating a paleo diet and was researching the AIP diet for autoimmune reasons, the almond flour that I had become accustomed to was not longer allowed.
And so my research led me to tigernut flour.
Tigernuts are surprisingly not nuts; they are tubers or small root vegetables. They are native to Africa and made up a significant portion of our ancestors’ paleo diets millions of years ago. But when roasted and ground, they turn into a nutty flavored flour and that perfect for those following the AIP diet but like to bake!
These tigernut flour zucchini muffins were based on this recipe from My Radical Roots. With a bunch of ingredient substitutions, I fell in love with this muffin.
Let’s take a look at what makes these tigernut flour zucchini muffins so fab:
- Tigernut flour makes these gluten free, grain free, paleo, and AIP.
- Sweetened with a banana and only 1 Tablespoon of honey.
- Added zucchini to sneak in some extra veggies.
- Topped with the BEST grain free paleo granola.
You are seriously going to love these! And if you are looking for other healthy muffins recipes, make sure to check out my Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins (one of my most viewed recipes!), Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, and one of the first ever recipes on HBN Banana and Oat Flour Muffins.
Tell me: Have you ever heard of tigernuts?
Make these Tigernut Flour Zucchini Muffins, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 cup Tigernut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 egg*
- ¼ cup grass-fed ghee, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- Topping: paleo grain free granola**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tigernut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together mashed banana. egg, ghee, vanilla extract, and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mix until combined.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Evenly distribute between 6 muffin tins and top with paleo grain free granola.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
**Omit if following AIP.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!