Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. These sweet potato tater tots are oven baked which make them the perfect side dish, especially with an avocado green goddess dipping sauce!
Sometimes I want to eat food that makes me feel like a kid.
And tater tots? Well no. I never ate tater tots as a kid. While other parents were buying their kids Ore-Ida tater tots – a gift from the gods – my mom was making my sisters and I food that didn’t come from the freezer section.
At the time I was devastated… of course. And now I am beyond thankful for the food my mom made me each night and for instilling in me the knowledge of real food.
Even though I wasn’t eating tater tots as a kid, I’m bringing them back today and am pulling out all the stops. These sweet potato tater tots are a huge improvement on those freezer burned tots in many ways:
- No BS ingredients. Just sweet potatoes and spices.
- Baked and not fried.
- AVOCADO GREEN GODDESS DIPPING SAUCE.
I mean I know we’re talking about tots, but this green goddess sauce really steals the show. It is thick and creamy from the avocado and tahini, packed with flavor from the fresh herbs and spices, and perfectly balanced thanks to a little rice vinegar to finish it off.
The recipe will make way more than you need; but you will not be sorry you have extras. I ate it with pulled chicken lettuce wraps, as a taco topping, and with my breakfast bowl. And I might have eaten some right off the spoon too 😉
What childhood food do you love eating as an adult?
Make these Sweet Potato Tater Tots, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 large sweet potato
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 handful cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the potato and cut into large chunks. Add to a saucepan filled with water, bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain and let cool slightly.
- Using a food processor, shred potatoes. Mix shredded potatoes with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a baking sheet with coconut oil.
- Using a 2 teaspoon cookie scoop to maintain even sizes, form tots and place on prepared sheet.
- Spray to the tots with coconut oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- As the sweet potato tater tots are baking, make the green goddess dipping sauce. Add all ingredients to a food processor, using the S-blade, and process until smooth. Add additional water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, to thin as needed.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!
Join the Hungry by Nature tribe!
Get the latest recipes, exclusive content, and much more!