Paleo zucchini muffins are gluten free, grain free, and refined sugar free! Made with almond flour and sweetened with bananas, these veggie packed muffins are the best breakfast or snack.
Every since I was diagnosed with Celiacs in December, my baking life has been a little unsteady.
I’ve loved baking baked goods ever since I can remember. Growing up I had the exact same birthday cake every single year – a chocolate bundt cake with a cream cheese and chocolate chip filling with chocolate ganache. The smell of chocolate chip cookies is probably my favorite smell in the world. And I rarely meet an cinnamon roll I don’t like.
And as I have aged, my love for baked goods turned into a love for baking. Baking became very therapeutic for me and I always find refuge in the kitchen.
But gluten free baking is not very therapeutic.
Gluten free baking has been a bit of a challenge for the obvious reason – flour. Do I use an all-purpose GF flour blend? Do I try grain free flours like chickpea or coconut? Baking is a science; it’s chemistry. And any sort of change – especially a change to the main ingredient – has ripple effects throughout the whole recipe.
Through my short time experimenting with different flours, I discovered that I reallllly like baking with almond flour. It makes baked goods ultra soft (cookies have an almost cake-like texture), doesn’t leave an almond flavor, and is made 100% from almonds.
So today, we’re baking with almond flour and making Paleo Zucchini Muffins!
These paleo zucchini muffins are phenomenal – they are grain free, gluten free, and refined sugar free! They are soft and moist, not too dense, and definitely not crumbly like lots of gluten free goods.
Super ripe bananas serve as the sweetener in these muffins. AND there is a cup of zucchini in there too. What more could you want?!
Nothing. There is nothing more that I want… except maybe chocolate. These muffins would be real good with a little dark chocolate thrown into the mix; they are totally guilt-free as is, so why not add in a little bit of the good stuff 😉
Make these Paleo Zucchini Muffins, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 2 bananas, mashed*
- 1 egg
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated zucchini, squeezed in paper towels to remove as much water as possible
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin.
- Prepare the wet ingredients: in a large bowl, mash the bananas and add in the egg, almond butter, and vanilla. Stirring to combine.
- Prepare the dry ingredients: whisk together the almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the grated zucchini. Divide between 9 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes and then remove and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- Store at room temp for 3 days or up to a week in the fridge.
This recipe was adapted from Fit Mitten Kitchen’s Simple Paleo Banana Muffins.
Don’t forget to pin for later!