These incredibly moist and protein packed Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins are sweetened with maple syrup and are the best post workout breakfast!
Last week I shared with you one of my favorite on the go breakfasts – Almond Butter Protein Bars. Whelp I’m back at it today with another on the go breakfast recipe in muffin form – Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins to be exact.
I used Kodiak Cakes Protein Packed Flapjack and Waffle Mix to make these muffins. Have you heard of Kodiak Cakes? I first heard of them from Kylie who uses their mixes in recipes all the time. Then I saw them at Costco, but was nervous about committing to such a big box. So I bought the mix from Jewel, fell in love, and regretting not purchasing the absurdly large size originally.
The good news is that I went to Costco last night and righted my wrong. Aaaaand a reader recently told me about a peanut butter version so that’s next on my list!
I’ve been experimenting with Kodiak Cakes (protein packed) mix and seriously love the stuff. This mix is made with 100% whole grain wheat flour and 100% whole grain oat flour and has a protein blend added that boasts 14 grams of protein in a single serving of flapjacks. This stuff will stick with ya!
While the mix makes delicious pancakes (obviously), I like using it as a flour substitute in other baked goods. And I am loving it in these apple cinnamon protein muffins.
These muffins are:
- moist and tender from the addition of applesauce
- dense and cakey from the Kodiak Cakes mix
- slightly sweet from the maple syrup
Each muffin yields only 135 calories and 6 grams of protein. I always eat two in a single serving – now that’s my kind of protein in a baked good!
The only thing that would make them better is if you sprinkled some grain free granola on top before you bake! Oh my goodness, I’m salivating just thinking about it!
Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins are one of my favorite ways to eat breakfast on the go! If you make these or any of my recipes, don’t forget to post a picture social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 cup Kodiak Cakes Protein Packed Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple, shredded
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Add apple and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Add wet to dry and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among 6 muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from tin and onto cooling rack.