You made it! This is my first official post on Hungry by Nature and I am so excited to share this recipe with you. We’re only a few days into fall and I’m sure you’re already sick of all the pumpkin flavored things – PSL (gross!), pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin everythingggggggg. But, you better get used to it because I love pumpkin and these chocolate chunk pumpkins bars are the perfect start to fall.
I made this recipe twice in one week – yes they are that good and yes I do have a serious sweet tooth. The original recipe is from one of my favorite food blogs Ambitious Kitchen, and I barely tweeked it, subbing in peanut butter for almond butter and chocolate chunks for chocolate chips. I’m getting totally crazy over here, I know.
It also calls for coconut flour instead of regular flour, making these gluten-free. I’m not gluten-free, or paleo, or anything else, but I like making healthy substitutions when I can and coconut flour is a great place to start. It is lower in carbs than AP flour, is filled with fiber, and is super absorbent so you do not need to use as much. And it’s great to use if you are paleo or gluten-free.
I want to jump right into that bowl of chocolate – DO IT! Looking for another sweet? Find one here.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks, divided
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, peanut butter, almond milk and eggs to a large bowl and mix until well combined, smooth and creamy.
- Add in coconut flour, baking soda, salt and the remaining spices. Gently fold in ⅓ cup of chocolate chunks into the batter. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Melt remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chunks in the microwave with the coconut oil. Once completely melted, drizzle the chocolate over the bars.
- Cut into 12 bars. Enjoy!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin