Simple grilled radishes made in your cast iron on the grill! Seasoned with avocado oil, s&p, and fresh herbs, these radishes are the veggie of the season!
I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE THING! Using my cast iron skillet on the grill!! Ohhhhemmmgeeee have you done this before? Am I way late to the party?!
Ok, you know I love my cast iron as evidenced with these meatballs, this breakfast hash, and this whole chicken. And you also know I adore grilling… because kebabs, tacos (!!), and turkey burgers. But I’ve never actually placed my skillet right there on the grill and done the damn thing. Until today.
But before we get into it, can we pause for a moment to admire the beauty of these radishes?
I’ve only ever had radishes raw, dipped in ranch – obvi – and they were way to spicy for my taste. I mean, why are raw vegetables spicy? NO thank you. But I’ve been challenging myself to buy produce that I don’t normally use (see: here) and the pink color was calling my name at the farmer’s market last week. So here we are.
After thinking about what I wanted to make with these, I knew I wanted them cooked and remembered my friend Kelly’s roasted radish recipe! Taking a cue from her addition of rosemary, I went the fresh herb route with rosemary and thyme.
And making these grilled radishes is ridiculously simple.
You seriously just heat the skillet right on the grill, as you would your stove. When it’s hot, almost smoking hot, you add in your veggies/avocado oil/herbs and let the grill do its thang.
Grilling the radishes allows them to soften in texture and flavor. They are a great alternative to roasted potatoes and they are paleo and Whole30 approved too!
I only bought one bunch at the market last week but I’ll be going back for more today! I’m thinking 2 or 3 bunches this time 😉
Do you use your cast iron on the grill? Tell me how!
Have you made one of my recipes?! Post a picture on social media, tag me, and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 bunch radishes - washed, trimmed, and halved
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste (skip pepper for AIP)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed from stems
- Preheat your grill and cast iron over medium heat, until the temperature reaches around 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add radishes. Top with avocado oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to coat radishes completely.
- When the grill is hot, add the radishes in a single layer and close the lid.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through so both sides get brown.
- Remove from grill (make sure have a thick oven glove!) and top with fresh rosemary and thyme.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!