All the goodness of granola without the grains! This paleo granola is full of nuts and seeds and is sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. It is the perfect addition to your morning smoothie or yogurt bowl and is wonderful as a snack!
But there’s an issue. Remember that whole ‘I have Celiacs thing’? Yea so most granola contains gluten. And technically you can buy gluten free rolled oats; but of all GF food, oats are one of the most gluten-contaminated gluten free foods.
Sorry for saying gluten so many times. #imtheworst
In addition to the contamination issue, I have noticed that I feel my best when I am not eating grains. My body doesn’t negatively react to them necessarily; but I can certainly tell a difference.
So, I have been on a mission to create the best gluten-free, grain-free, EVERYTHING-free, paleo granola.
And I did it.
I made this granola on Saturday morning and by the time I photographed it around lunch, I had consumed a fair amount – so much so that I am embarrassed to tell you. Ok fine. I ate a cup… yes an entire cup.
The base of this paleo granola is a mixture of nuts and seeds.
I mixed pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, and sunflower seeds; but feel free to add in/remove/swap out ingredients with your favorites!
Oh and the best part?! Flaked coconut. I bought the super big chunky flakes from Trader Joe’s and added them in halfway through the baking, giving them just enough time to brown without burning.
And I guess there is another ‘best part’ too… this grain free granola is sweetened with maple syrup which also makes this refined sugar-free!
I mean, you can totally tell why I ate an entire cup right?!
Tell me: What are your favorite ways to eat granola?
Make these Grain Free Paleo Granola, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- In a large bowl combine the pecans, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cashews, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil. Add in the maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the large bowl and stir until the granola is coated. Add coated granola to your baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove granola from the oven and add coconut, stirring to combine.
- Bake another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Break apart the granola and store in a cool place.
Don’t forget to save this recipe for later!