Packed with two superfoods and only 5 ingredients, these maca cacao energy bites are the perfect pre-workout snack or afternoon pick me up!
Have you ever been in TJ Maxx / Home Goods / Marshalls and wandered the aisle where the packaged food is?
I used to be totally put off by it. Why is it there and why is it totally disorganized? It felt really out of place to me; like it was weird leftover food from the grocery store that never was sold. Then last spring, I heard an interview by the founders of Wild Friends who said that getting their product on the shelves at Marshalls is just like getting their product on the shelves in Target or Whole Foods. It’s not leftover from another store – it’s supposed to be there.
That made me feel a whole lot better and now I LOVE checking out these stores for new food products. It’s a fun way for me to try out new products without spending a lot of money.
Enter: maca powder. I had seen it on the shelves at Marshalls and always passed over it because I had no idea what the heck it was. After a while, I decided to do a little research and ultimately made the purchase because of the health benefits maca powder boasts.
Check dat shiz out:
- Increases fertility in both men and women.
- Improves your hormone balance.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Increases your energy and stamina.
- Improves memory and focus.
Great. Yes please. Perfect. Sign me up. Hallelujah.
So I decided that the best way to consume maca powder would be alongside another superfood – cacao. And of course combine them to create Maca Cacao Energy Bites! Energy bites are my go-to when trying to incorporate new superfoods into my diet because they usually come in the form of powder, or seeds, or nibs, or something like that.
These Maca Cacao Energy Bites only require 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make.
Raw unsalted cashews and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) are blitzed in your food processor to break them down. Then the dates, maca powder, and cacao powder are added and processed until the dough sticks together when pressed between your fingers. Scoop the dough out and roll/press between your two hands. EAT.
Tell me: Do you buy food from Marshalls? Or does that totally freak you out?
If you make these maca cacao energy bites or any of my recipes, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- ½ cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- ½ cup pepitas
- 1 cup packed pitted dates
- 2 Tablespoons maca powder
- 1 Tablespoon cacao powder
- Add cashews and pepitas to the basin of a food processor or high powdered blender. Pulse 5 or 6 times to begin to break down the nuts.
- Add dates, maca powder, and cacao powder. Process until the mixture becomes a course meal. It should be crumbly, but will hold together if you pinch it between your fingers.
- Using a 2 teaspoon scoop, scoop dough into hands and firmly press and roll into balls. This will yield 24 small bites. Using a tablespoon sized scoop will yield 12 bites.
Looking for more energy bite recipes? Here are my favorites: