A simple, sweet, and spicy treat to add to your Christmas cookie plate. These sweet and spicy peanut butter buds are gluten free and bring the heat!
Well it is officially the most wonderful time of the year! Are you totally wrapped up in all the holiday magic?? I have a few Christmas-y things on my to-do list for December including a visit to Christkindlmarket, ice skating at Maggie Daley Park, seeing the Zoo Lights, and eating my weight in cookies.
Sounds like the perfect December.
Last month, some friends and I held a virtual Friendsgiving and we had such a blast that we decided to do it again for Christmas; but this time with cookies :))) Enter: the BGB Holiday Cookie Exchange!
I’ll be sharing my new favorite cookie recipe; but make sure you scroll down to the bottom to see all the other recipes – there are some seriously good looking cookies!
A few years ago, a friend introduced me to the magic of her 4-ingredient gluten free peanut butter cookie.
peanut butter + sugar + egg + vanilla = gluten free heaven
Yes, the recipe is that easy and so delicious. Like, how in the world are these that good, delicious. Shhhh, don’t question, just bake.
Now I am all for a good peanut butter cookie. I mean, who isn’t? But I also like to keep people on their toes and surprise them! Last year I made a savory rosemary shortbread cookie. It was such a welcomed changed to the super sugary options that we usually find this time of year.
The shortbread had pieces of fresh rosemary throughout the dough making it obvious that it was a savory cookie. So this year I’m going to be sneaky. I’m making my spicy cookies look like they are sweet so that when someone bites into them, the slow burn of the cayenne hits them right when they least expect it!
Is that mean or is that quite possibly the sneakiest trick of all time?! Maybe they’re just on Santa’s naughty list.
What is your favorite Christmas cookie? Make sure you scroll past the recipe to check out all the other BGB recipes!
If you make these Sweet and Spicy Peanut Butter Buds or any of my other recipes, post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until combined. Place the bowl in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes - this will help the cookies keep their domed shape.
- Using a cookie scoop (mine was a 2 teaspoon scoop), scoop cookies and place them on your prepared sheet. Place the sheet in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, melt 3 ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and let the chocolate set.
BGB Holiday Cookie Exchange
Chocolate-Dipped Almond Butter Shortbread Cookies with Almond Butter Buttercream by plays well with butter
Vegan Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies by Healthy Helper
Superfood Overnight Thumbprint Cookies by Miss Allie’s Kitchen
Bailey’s Chocolate Chip Cookies by Byte Sized Nutrition
Snickerdoodles with Dark Chocolate Drizzle by My Uncommon Everyday
Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies by Beauty in Christ