For mornings when you’re running out the door and have no time to make breakfast at home, these almond butter protein bars are a lifesaver!
Over the past year and a half, I have been trying really hard to make myself breakfast at home each morning. I used to run out the door with wet hair in an attempt to catch the bus or El and usually (read: always) had a lack-luster granola bar in hand. On good days, I might have a smoothie but that was rare.
In order to eat breakfast at home, I have to get up earlier, but have found that my days are so much better if I eat a balanced breakfast.
Here are a few of my typical go-to breakfasts:
- 1/2 cup oats cooked on the stove with water and Califia Farms Unsweetend Almondmilk and mixed with fruit (mixed berries or banana) and PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
- Smoothie made of mixed berries, banana, lots of greens, greek yogurt, and topped with chia seeds and granola.
- Two slices of sprouted toast with all sorts of toppings – avocado, yogurt/fruit/super seed blend, peanut butter/fruit/chia seeds.
All of these breakfasts combine whole grains, protein, healthy fats, and fiber. And that combination is the key to keeping me full – otherwise the hangries show up around 10:30…
But let’s be furreal, breakfast at home definitely does not happen every morning. Some days I am running out the door to an early meeting or heading to work straight from the gym. And it’s those days when these almond butter protein bars save me.
These protein bars are made with some of my favorite ingredients – almond butter (duh!), Kodiak Cakes Protein Packed Flapjack and Waffle Mix, medjool dates, and honey. Each bar comes in at 320 calories and is packed with 12 grams of protein!
Next week I will be sharing another protein packed breakfast you can eat as you are running out the door. But until then, happy weekend!
I’d love it if you’d make these Almond Butter Protein Bars and keep them in your fridge for breakfast on the go! And don’t forget to post a picture social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature for a chance to be featured!
- 1½ cups Kodiak Cakes protein packed pancake and flapjack mix
- 1 packet Aloha vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup natural almond butter (I used Trader Joe's crunchy!)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon salt*
- Line a 8x8 in baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrap down the sides and continue to pulse until a dough begins to form.
- Using your hands, press dough in the pan evenly.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes, cut into 10 bars and store in the fridge.
You can also make this recipe into Almond Butter Protein Bites - you should get approximately 30 bites.
Stacks on stacks. Snacks on snacks.